The CPCE main office is looking for a theologian (100%) to work in the Vienna office with a focus on “Ethics / Social Ethics”.
Who are we?
The Community of Protestant Churches in Europe (CPCE) links together Protestant churches. Some 100 Lutheran, Methodist, Reformed and United churches from more than 30 countries in Europe and South America are involved. In all, the CPCE represents around 50 million Protestants.
The foundation of CPCE is based upon the Leuenberg Agreement signed in 1973. Every six years, the General Assembly of the CPCE sets the agenda for the organisation’s forthcoming work. A Council of 13 members led by a triumvirate Presidium oversees progress among General Assemblies, and the General Secretary and the main office in Vienna coordinate the various activities.
Whom we are looking for?
We are looking for a theologian who will accompany the study processes of the CPCE, especially in the field of ethics / social ethics, collaborate in social-ethical statements with the CPCE Council and take over the management for the newly composed Advisory Board on Ethics. In addition, she/he assumes further tasks in the office in cooperation with the General Secretary.
We hope that she/he will be dispatched and actively supported by a member church. Individual agreements on the financing of the delegated person are possible and the General Secretary will be happy to contact you.
The office is located in Vienna, Austria.
Start of service: 1 January 2020
- Management of the Advisory Board on Ethics
- Management of the study processes “Sexuality and Gender” and “Democracy as a Challenge for Churches and Societies” commissioned by the General Assembly
- Preparation of statements on current socio-ethical issues
- Membership in a member church of the CPCE
- Knowledge of English and German
- Some experience and knowledge of the ecumenical movement and structures
- Awareness of the political, social and religious issues in Europe
- Deepened theological knowledge in the field of ethics / social ethics
- Background or active interest in an organisation working across different cultures and languages
What do we offer?
- A unique opportunity to contribute in strengthening the church communion by making the common voice of European Protestantism audible
- A multifaceted workplace with broad horizons at the nerve centre of European Protestantism
- An appealing possibility to work in conjunction with the General Secretary and the main office team of employees
- A place of employment based in a stunning town with a high quality of living and an attractive office space.
Any person interested in this position is cordially invited to apply with following:
- A letter of application, including a statement of motivation
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Reference from the member church
The application should be sent to General secretary Dr Mario Fischer via e-mail m.fischer(at)leuenberg.eu until June 30, 2019.
Photo (CPCE/I. Monjencs): Evangelisches Zentrum, Vienna (CPCE Offices on top floor to the right)